The Mathematics Department at St. John's Prep is a community of learners and teacher-scholars, which has as its mission to help all students gain an appreciation of mathematics, provide students with a foundation for life-long learning, and foster critical thinking and problem-solving skills. We achieve this with our innovative curriculum, where students explore mathematics not only for its own sake but also for the myriad ways it is used in the modern world.
To advance its mission, the Department of Mathematics:
- is a community that values mathematics and its applications;
- provides a foundation for critical thinking by developing skills in logic and problem solving;
- offers a broad selection of courses that can be tailored to diverse student needs
- develops mentoring among faculty and students through small classes and a drop-in study after-school support program staffed by mathematics faculty.
- Qualified students will be enrolled in Math Honors, AP Calculus and AP Statistics.
- The Department sponsors a Math League that participates in the American Mathematics Competition as well as other regional competitions.
- ACT/SAT Prep is covered in classes starting in freshman year
- Department members provide assistance to those students having difficulty in math. Office hours are available before and after school.
- The Department sponsors an Annual Pi Day every March 14th.
- Graduates who are studying math education in college who have come to observe our classes are often inspired by our faculty.
- After school preparation is provided for all Common Core Regents Examinations.
- Students utilize the TI-84 Plus Graphing Calculator beginning in freshmen year. The graphing calculator will enhance learning and provide each student with a clearer understanding of mathematical concepts and solutions